Best friend charged in Far South Side chainsaw attack

24.08.2013 00:07

CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) -
[ more + ]
Photo Galleries
PHOTOS: Brookfield Zoo
welcomes newborn snow
leopard cub
Updated: Aug 23, 2013 2:27 PM
There's a new furry
feline prowling
around the Brookfield
Zoo in suburban Chicago.
PHOTOS: Watercross Tour
brings impressive jet ski stunts
to Kenosha
Updated: Aug 20, 2013 4:30 PM
Round 4 of the Great
Lakes Watercross
Tour took place
Sunday at Pennoyer Park in Kenosha,
Wis. Jet ski riders made an impressive
show at the event, defying gravity on
the water.
PHOTOS: Restoration set for
WWII-era plane found in Lake
Updated: Aug 20, 2013 4:30 PM
A Michigan aviation
museum is helping to
restore a World War-
II era plane that was recovered from
the bottom of Lake Michigan.
Best friend charged in Far
South Side chainsaw
Posted: Aug 23, 2013 9:21 AM
Updated: Aug 23, 2013 9:21 AM
A 50-year-old man accused of
drunkenly attacking his best friend
early Wednesday morning with a
chain saw was charged with
aggravated battery, police
announced Friday morning.
Anthony Metcalf, 50, of the 1000
block of West 103rd Street, was
charged with one count of
aggravated battery with a deadly
weapon for the Far South Side
attack, police said. He is expected
Friday in bond court.
Several hours after the attack, an
achy Preston Smith was in a
hospital bed, nursing a hand
laceration while trying to figure out
what on earth made his friend of 40
years attack him with a snarling
chain saw.
"I think he got a little intoxicated
— a lot intoxicated," Smith said
from his hospital bed at Advocate
Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.
Smith, who lives on the Far South
Side, said he'd just finished his
shift as a city Streets and
Sanitation driver Tuesday night,
and had gone for a beer at his
buddy's house in the 1000 block of
West 103rd Street.
"We were sitting back there," Smith,
55, recalled. "He was just talking,
just talking crap."
Smith said he suspects his friend
was depressed after losing a job as
a car salesman. But Smith said he
has no idea if he said something in
particular that irked his longtime
Just before 2 a.m., Smith got up to
leave and walked over to his car.
"I was sitting in my car. I was going
to leave," Smith said. "He came
with the chain saw. He chainsawed
my car, and then I pushed the door
open to get him back. I got out so I
could get away. He just started
swiping at me, and he cut my
By the time officers arrived at the
Washington Park neighborhood
home, the chain-saw-wielding man
had fled. Smith, however, needed
medical attention and was taken to
Christ Medical Center for the injury
to his hand. Smith's left fingers
were cut, but still attached police
said. Smith was listed in stable
On Wednesday morning, Smith said,
"I'm really in a lot of pain."